Tuesday, October 06, 2009

The Lost Symbol

I picked up Dan Brown’s new book The Lost Symbol in the SLC airport this last Friday. I liked his books Angels and Demons and the Davinci Code. They were both well researched and although it is hard to tell fact from fiction at times, I learned quite a bit about the derivation of languages and symbolism. I have enjoyed reading Brown’s new book- it actually coincides with some of the discussions we had a lake Powell. By observing a situation, or by changing the way we think about a situation not only changes our paradigm- it causes an actual physical change to occur. There is a new branch of science called Noetic Science http://www.noetic.org/about.cfm that deals with this topic and is discussed in Dan Brown’s book.

I find this topic fascinating. There are connections that happen in nature that we just do not currently understand. I like Einstein’s quote “That which is inpenetrable to us really exists. Behind the secrets of nature remains something subtle, intangible, and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything we can comprehend is my religion.”

The fact that we can actually change a situation by thinking a certain way about it makes thinking constructive, positive, creative thoughts even more important than if we were only pure observers. One of my favorite books is by James Allen and is called As a Man Thinketh When I read it again this year, I will do it with new eyes. It is hard to know how far to take this- but the topic of proactivity and the responsibility we have for our relationships or our situations in life may be sculpted by our thoughts long before we put a shovel to the soil.