Monday, November 27, 2006

Education of a Wandering Man

I have been reading a book called The Education of a Wandering Man I would not call it an earth shattering book, but it I do agree with the philosophy LaMour espouses- that learning is not so much a formal process as it is a way of being. Education is not the act of taking classes and earning degrees, it is the process of becoming more aware of our world, being able to better understand the principles upon which it operates. Education is that thing that causes us to question “why” or “why not” instead of just accepting today as the way things are and ultimately should be.

There is beauty in life all around us- the question is- do we choose to see it? Are we even aware it there? I see education as the process of opening our eyes to things that have been there all along –but looking, we have not seen them. One of the reason reasons I love talking to people of my grandpa’s generation is because they see things that I am only looking at…

A good synopsis of the book is that it is a journal of a mans process of becoming educated in the real sense of the word- no class rooms involved, but a lot of reading, a lot of roaming and a lot of skinned up knees…

No comments: