Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Vistage Discussion- Managing Thoughts- Mary Lore

A great reminder that whatever we focus our thoughts on expands. If we are expecting great things out of our life and that is what we are thinking about, in most cases- that is what we will get. I will say that I feel like a lucky guy- good things just seem to happen to me- maybe it is not luck after all..

On the other hand, if we are looking for what is wrong with a situation and expecting bad things to happen, we should not be surprised when we get exactly that.

We should focus only on the things we want more of in our life.

The most successful company are those where every employee understands how their individual role contributes to the larger goals of the company and know that the companies goals leave the world a better place.

Quit saying I need to… I have to… I must… instead say something like “It is important that we…. Because….” “I am… I am choosing… I make a difference when…” “I wonder what it would be like if…”

Make sure I am doing every day the things that bring peace.

Unconscious thoughts –vs- not conscious thoughts We can be aware of our thoughts- we just choose not to. My brain is not me. I am not my thoughts- I am the observer of my thoughts. I have learned about this philosophy a few times over the years from people like Wayne Dyer- there were some things that clicked for me during this discussion. The idea of us being the watcher- being detached from our thoughts. The separation between our soul and our brain is an interesting one that we will never appreciate without disciplined effort.

Stress- Is the continuance of using poor responses to a situation instead of giving the brain a new thought and a higher way to deal with the problem.

Some great questions to ask:
1- What can I say or do right now that is for the greater good?
2- What can I do right now to be of the most service?
3- How can I help?


I have also really enjoyed Wooden on Leadership. Many of the principles are not new, but seeing how they have been applied by probably the most successful coach of all time is very interesting to me.

No comments: