Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cael Sanderson

Cael Sanderson was our speaker at the deicing conference this year. AMAZING! it is so rare that a world class athlete is also a world class coach and is thoughtful as Cael. He talked much more about the mental side of performing well than the physical. Below are some notes I took while he was talking. These principles stuck out to me: 1- Get VERY clear with your vision. Once your vision is clear, the work becomes more meaningful and easier. 2- As a leader or coach, my role is not to add expectations, but to remove them and help people see their purpose and potential more clearly 3- There is never a reason to be negative- it is not productive for anyone- ever. Find something to be positive about even when it is hard. If your goal is to help someone see themselves for their potential, how is being negative going to forward that purpose? 4- Speak to yourself in present and powerful language. Instead of saying "I want to win" say "I am winning" The way we speak to ourselves is crucial. 5- Focus on things that I have 100% control of. Have a vision board. The actions become easier when you are really clear about your vision and purpose. The way you talk to yourself is critical. Speak in the present. I am winning. I am ready. Not I want to win. Speak in the present with power. Don't try to suppress negative thoughts, plant positive thoughts. I'm just here to serve my team As soon as I realized that it wasn't about me, I was able to make a huge difference as a coach. Love your enemy is not for your enemy, it is for you... Look at the situation from the players point of view as a coach My job as a coach is not to add expectations, but to help them remember their purpose and help them rise up and be the best that they can be. When you mine gold, several tons of dirt needs to be removed but you are not looking for dirt, you are looking for gold. Find something to be positive about What you need to do as a leader is share your passion for what you are doing. Negativity is exhausting and contagious... A job of a coach is not to point out mistakes, that is a characteristic of a poor coach. Be prepared and know your purpose For practice during the Sanduski thing, for practice they watched Lion King and chewed bubblegum Celebrate small wins and have fun... There will always be a million reasons to lose and only one reason to win- because you want to. If you want to motivate someone, challenge them. People respond to challenges. Remind people of their purpose. That is the role of a coach. The fishing is best where the fewest go After you feel you have done all you can, it is the ten minutes that you keep with it after that, that will make you an Olympic champion. My goal as a freshman was that I didn't want my opponent to want to wrestle me again I focus on things that I have 100% control of. Most injuries in wrestling are due to bad choices. Being responsible in the moment of choice.